21 July 2014

What Colby Lewis Really Meant

By now you know the enigmatic musings of Colby Lewis, the Rangers' pitcher who took issue with Blue Jay outfielder Colby Rasmus bunting against the shift.

"I told [Rasmus] I didn't appreciate it. You're up by two runs with two outs [in the fifth inning] and you lay down a bunt. I don't think that's the way the game should be played."

Lewis has been rightfully shredded here and here and here and here and frankly everywhere for conjuring a new unwritten rule.

But I think Colby Lewis was misquoted and now he's being unfairly criticized. 

What he really said was this:

"I told [Rasmus] I didn't appreciate having a 6.54 ERA. You're a .233 hitter and even you just got a hit against me. I don't think we Rangers, at 39-59, know the way the game should be played."

See? That's totally understandable. So lay off poor Colby. He might not be in the Majors much longer.

 

No comments: